With every passing year comes another New Year’s resolution to eat healthier and hit the gym. I’ve made this same resolution every year and after a couple weeks, I usually find myself ordering pizza and skipping the UREC class I just signed up for. This year, I’m two weeks in and I haven’t broken my resolution yet! Here are some of my quick tips to get healthy in 2018, even if you’ve already fallen off the resolution band-wagon.

Make a Shopping List and Stick to It

Ever heard you should never go grocery shopping hungry? That rule still applies, but making a shopping list without all the junk food can help you budget and stick to a healthy diet!

Drink a Gallon of Water Every Day, No Exceptions!

Drinking a gallon of water every day is easier than it sounds. I’ve found the easiest way to make sure you’re getting and staying hydrated is to buy a gallon of water at the store and drink it throughout the day. If you’re self-conscious about bringing a giant jug of water to class, measure out your water bottle to determine how many times you’ll need to fill it up throughout the day to make sure you’re drinking a gallon. If you’re not great at drinking water, add some lemon or cucumber to give it some flavor.

Protein, Protein, Protein!

Protein is an essential part of every diet. If you have a hard time incorporating protein into every mealyes, you should have a portion of protein at every mealtry adding a protein powder to your daily routine. I’m not a fan of protein shakes, so I add a little protein powder to my coffee every morning. The vanilla flavor of the powder makes it so I don’t need any cream or sugar, and it helps me to stay full until lunchtime.

Find Healthier Alternatives to Your Favorite Foods

This year, I have cut carbs completely out of my diet. Yes, that even means sandwiches and pizza. But I’ve also found some healthy alternatives to my favorite foods. Craving a sandwich? Try a lettuce wrap and minimize condiments like mayonnaise and mustard. Craving pizza? Try making your own cauliflower crust pizza. It tastes almost the same but without all the guilt! And when I’m craving a chocolate ice cream cone from Kline’s, I’ll opt for Halo Top ice cream which has around 200-360 calories per pint with added protein. As for breakfast, bagels have always been my go-to breakfast item, so this was a really tough one for me. If you’re not sold on cutting bagels out of your diet, eating just one bagel is the equivalent of eating SIX slices of bread.

Follow Healthy Food Instagram Accounts for Recipe Ideas

Following healthy food Instagram accounts has helped me a ton, as well as unfollowing all the junk food accounts I had previously followed. My favorites to follow are @talkveggietome and @collegecleaneating. Both accounts have fun, low-calorie recipe ideas to try as well as some workout routines to inspire you to keep going!

Hit the Gym!

I’ve never been huge on the gym, so getting motivated to go has still been hard for me this year. It does help to know that if you’re trying to lose weight, about 80% of it is clean eating while the other 20% is exercise. Still, you should be getting as much exercise as you can, but don’t beat yourself up if you’re too busy to go to the gym every day! If you’re not a fan of the gym, try some at-home workouts or walk to class a few times per week.

Grab a Buddy!

Lastly, grab a friend to be healthy with! It’s a lot easier to hold yourself accountable and commit to eating healthy if you have someone to do it with. Whether it’s sharing recipes or going to the gym together, being healthy with a friend will help you stick with your goals!

Have any healthy tips that work for you? Comment your ideas below!

 

One thought on “How to Get Healthy in 2018

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s